Friday, August 29, 2008

Fire Hazard From Loose Fuse In Power Plug - Charred Plug

Another look at the charred plug.
The charring results from the fuse inside which is not seated properly inside the fuse holder.
As washing machines are high current appliances, the loose fuse presents a high resistant to the current causing the fuse holder to heat up, much like the heater element in a electric kettle heats up because of current passing through it.
After a period of heat, the area around the fuse holder melts and is charred resulting in no more electrical connection. So the washing machine just wont power up.

No comments :